The following article is an excellent summary of why Small Businesses cannot afford to be complacent in implementing safe and secure computing policies in their workplace. This was released by TrendLabs – http://www.trendmicro.com/cloud-content/us/pdfs/internet-safety/tlp_small-business-big-for-cybercrime.pdf
A quick summary of the article.
- Any organization, regardless os size or type can fall victim to cybercrime.
- Small businesses manage infromation that is of interest to cybercriminals.
- Cybercriminals unleash 3.5 new threats targetting small businesses every second.
- Compliance is costly, but noncompliance is costlier and can serve as a window to cybercrime.
- Small businesses are moving to the cloud and are embracing cloud security but cybercriminals are not far behind. (my note: they are already there!)
So what can you do about this?
- Make sure your systems are up to date (hardware and software) and that you have a plan for backup and disaster recovery.
- Talk to a specialist (your IT provider) about getting into compliance. If you don’t have one, I would strongly recommend that you locate a IT partner that you can trust and work with.
- Be alert about the threats that are out there. Have a look at my previous blog posts (search Category:Security) for more infomation.
One thought on “Five things every Small Business should know about Web Threats and Cybercrime”