Bookmark this page to find information on trending security topics.
Microsoft Security Tips and Talk
Unable to display feed at this time.
Microsoft Malware Protection Center
- Partnering with the AV ecosystem to protect our Windows 10 customers June 20, 2017On Friday May 12th, and for several days afterwards, more than a quarter-million computers around the world fell victim to the ransomware known as WannaCrypt or WannaCry. As that recent event has shown, malicious actors bring nearly boundless time and skill to commit cybercrime that can cause harm to millions of people. That is why...
- Analysis of the Shadow Brokers release and mitigation with Windows 10 virtualization-based security June 16, 2017On April 14, a group calling themselves the Shadow Brokers caught the attention of the security community by releasing a set of weaponized exploits. Shortly thereafter, one of these exploits was used to create wormable malware that we now know as WannaCrypt, which targeted a large number of out-of-date systems and held encrypted files for...
- MSRT June 2017: Removing sneaky Xiazai June 13, 2017In the June release of the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT), we’re adding Xiazai, a widespread family of browser modifiers that we have blocked and removed from millions of computers since 2015. Xiazai is a software bundler that can sneak in additional changes. Xiazai does not install itself or make autostart registry entries, but...
- Windows 10 Creators Update provides next-gen ransomware protection June 8, 2017Multiple high-profile incidents have demonstrated that ransomware can have catastrophic effects on all of us. From personally losing access to your own digital property, to being impacted because critical infrastructure or health care services are unexpectedly unavailable for extended periods of time, destructive attacks have grown in severity and scale on a […]
- PLATINUM continues to evolve, find ways to maintain invisibility June 7, 2017Back in April 2016, we released the paper PLATINUM: Targeted attacks in South and Southeast Asia, where we detailed the tactics, techniques, and procedures of the PLATINUM activity group. We described a group that was well-resourced and quickly adopted advanced techniques, such as hot patching to silently inject code into processes. They used hot patching... […]
Kapersky Lab Threat Post
- Microsoft Extends Edge Bug Bounty Program Indefinitely June 21, 2017Microsoft said Wednesday it would extend its Edge bug bounty program indefinitely.
- Trump’s Cybersecurity Executive Order Under Fire June 21, 2017Former AT&T CSO, Ed Amoroso, says government needs to shift from talk to action when it comes to cybersecurity.
- Honda Shut Down Plant Impacted by WannaCry June 21, 2017Carmaker Honda announced Wednesday that it was forced to shut down production at one of its Japanese plants earlier this week after it was hit by the WannaCry ransomware.
- OpenVPN Patches Critical Remote Code Execution Vulnerability June 21, 2017OpenVPN patched four vulnerabilities privately disclosed by Dutch researcher Guido Vranken, including a critical issue that could lead to remote code execution.
- Avaya Patches Remote Code Execution Flaw in Aura June 21, 2017Avaya released a patch last week for a remote code execution vulnerability in its Avaya Aura Application Enablement Services software.