Bookmark this page to find information on trending security topics.
Microsoft Security Tips and Talk
Unable to display feed at this time.
Microsoft Malware Protection Center
- We’re moving to Microsoft Secure December 21, 2017We’re packing up and moving! Starting January 2018, we’ll move our blogs to Microsoft Secure. At Microsoft Secure, you will find technical information for Office 365, Microsoft Azure, and Windows, alongside product updates, cybersecurity guidance, industry trends, and more. You can expect the same great security stories from the global team of Windows Defend […]
- Detonating a bad rabbit: Windows Defender Antivirus and layered machine learning defenses December 11, 2017Windows Defender Antivirus uses a layered approach to protection: tiers of advanced automation and machine learning models evaluate files in order to reach a verdict on suspected malware. While Windows Defender AV detects a vast majority of new malware files at first sight, we always strive to further close the gap between malware release and...
- Microsoft teams up with law enforcement and other partners to disrupt Gamarue (Andromeda) December 4, 2017Today, with help from Microsoft security researchers, law enforcement agencies around the globe, in cooperation with Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit (DCU), announced the disruption of Gamarue, a widely distributed malware that has been used in networks of infected computers collectively called the Andromeda botnet. The disruption is the culmination of a journe […]
- New tech support scam launches communication or phone call app November 20, 2017A new tech support scam technique streamlines the entire scam experience, leaving potential victims only one click or tap away from speaking with a scammer. We recently found a new tech support scam website that opens your default communication or phone call app, automatically prompting you to call a fake tech support scam hotline. ...
Kapersky Lab Threat Post
- Intel AMT Loophole Allows Hackers to Gain Control of Some PCs in Under a Minute January 12, 2018Researchers say an unprotected Management Engine BIOS Extension can allow an attacker the ability to configure Intel’s AMT feature for remote access by a hacker.
- Apps Exposing Children to Porn Ads Booted From Google Play January 12, 2018Researchers identified 60 apps on Google Play infected with AdultSwine malware that in some cases displayed graphic adult-themed ads on apps intended for children.
- House Votes to Reauthorize Controversial Spy Provision, Section 702 January 11, 2018The U.S. House of Representatives voted to renew U.S. spy provisions, extending the powers of the NSA to collect internet communications for another six years.
- WhatsApp Downplays Damage of a Group Invite Bug January 11, 2018WhatsApp said that claims that infiltrators can add themselves to an encrypted group chat without being noticed is incorrect.
- FBI Director Calls Smartphone Encryption an ‘Urgent Public Safety Issue’ January 10, 2018The debate over the government's authority to access private encrypted data on digital devices was amplified when the Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Christopher Wray called unbreakable encryption an 'urgent public safety issue.'