Bookmark this page to find information on trending security topics.
Microsoft Security Tips and Talk
Unable to display feed at this time.
Microsoft Malware Protection Center
- Microsoft Security Intelligence Report volume 23 is now available March 15, 2018As security incidents and events keep making headlines, Microsoft is committed to helping our customers and the rest of the security community to make sense of the risks and offer recommendations. Old and new malware continues to get propagated through massive botnets, attackers are increasing focus on easier attack methods such as phishing, and ransomware R […]
- Sharing research and discoveries at PWN2OWN March 14, 2018The annual PWN2OWN exploit contest at the CanSecWest conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, brings together some of the top security talent from across the globe in a friendly competition. For the participants, these events are a platform to demonstrate world-class skills and vie for significant cash prizes. For companies like Microsoft, where we […]
- Poisoned peer-to-peer app kicked off Dofoil coin miner outbreak March 13, 2018On March 7, we reported that a massive Dofoil campaign attempted to install malicious cryptocurrency miners on hundreds of thousands of computers. Windows Defender Antivirus, with its behavior monitoring, machine learning technologies, and layered approach to security detected and blocked the attack within milliseconds.Windows 10 S, a special configuration o […]
- Invisible resource thieves: The increasing threat of cryptocurrency miners March 13, 2018The surge in Bitcoin prices has driven widescale interest in cryptocurrencies. While the future of digital currencies is uncertain, they are shaking up the cybersecurity landscape as they continue to influence the intent and nature of attacks. Cybercriminals gave cryptocurrencies a bad name when ransomware started instructing victims to pay ransom in the for […]
- Behavior monitoring combined with machine learning spoils a massive Dofoil coin mining campaign March 7, 2018Update: Further analysis of this campaign points to a poisoned update for a peer-to-peer (P2P) application. For more information, read Poisoned peer-to-peer app kicked off Dofoil coin miner outbreak. Just before noon on March 6 (PST), Windows Defender Antivirus blocked more than 80,000 instances of several sophisticated trojans that exhibited advanced cross- […]
Kapersky Lab Threat Post
- New Microsoft Bug Bounty Program Looks To Squash The Next Spectre, Meltdown March 16, 2018Microsoft is looking to target new speculative execution side channel vulnerabilities - similar to Spectre and Meltdown - with a new bug bounty program.
- The ‘Perfect Storm’ of Disinformation and Hacking March 16, 2018Matt Tait gives a list of examples throughout history where politically motivated groups have used disinformation and hacking as part of a campaign to shape public opinion.
- Intel Details CPU ‘Virtual Fences’ Fix As Safeguard Against Spectre, Meltdown Flaws March 16, 2018Intel is introducing hardware-based protections to its new chips to protect against the Spectre and Meltdown flaws that rocked the silicon industry when they were announced in early 2018.
- GandCrab Ransomware Crooks Take Agile Development Approach March 15, 2018Despite setbacks hackers behind GandCrab malware are pushing ahead with lucrative new ransomware strain thanks to quick-and-dirty agile development approach.
- Walmart Jewelry Partner Exposes Personal Data Of 1.3M Customers March 15, 2018A Walmart jewelry partners' misconfigured AWS S3 bucket left personal details and contact information of 1.3 million customers in plain sight.