Latest Security News
Bookmark this page to find information on trending security topics.
Microsoft Security Tips and Talk
- re: Support for Windows XP ends in April 2014 May 16, 2013time to make the jump. Apple awaits you.
- re: Microsoft Security Intelligence Report v14: Why antivirus software matters May 16, 2013Had problem with my anti virus program from Kaspersky that would not do complete security scan. I was told by Kaspersky to turn off Windows defender because it was not compatible with their software. Turned defender off uninstalled Kaspersky and then reinstalled that software no problems ever since.
- re: Support for Windows XP ends in April 2014 May 16, 2013If only they could get Windows 8 and Office to do all that XP and Office 2003 would do, without all the error messages and incompatibilities before the closing date... not likely!
- re: Support for Windows XP ends in April 2014 May 16, 2013Being a silver surfer I am use to XP and find it so easy , please don't make us change, give us your continued support. I don't have much confidence in 7 or 8 and I don't have unlimited funds to update. Please have pity on us oldies.
- re: Support for Windows XP ends in April 2014 May 16, 2013Agree with all the above regretting your fiddling with an excellent system in order,apparently, to force us to use an inferior one. Remember the old adage : if it aint broke dont fix it. Read and learn Microsoft!!
- re: Support for Windows XP ends in April 2014 May 16, 2013I work in corporate IT and have been investigating Windows 8 since they released an eval copy and I really think that Microsoft have lost the plot with Win8. Sure it has some nice features for exec's but the bread and butter PC users are going to struggle with it. I am an XP fan although I do run Win7 and have got to like it but if MS build robust softw […]
- re: Support for Windows XP ends in April 2014 May 16, 2013Good lord, freaking scary. Do ANY of you have an education ? Freaking spelling and grammar are ignorant and scary. Can't understand what half of you are even "trying" to say.
Microsoft Malware Protection Center
- No paysafecard needed, your passwords will pay off May 16, 2013The past year has been one of expansion for ransomware. Throughout 2012 an increasing number of blogs, tutorials and discussion forums were written to help people gain access to ransomware-locked computers without paying the ransom. The authors of Reveton ransomware are aware that the persistence of their malware on a system is not only narrowed by an antivi […]
- Don't pay the rogue, scan with MSRT May 14, 2013We added three new families to this month’s Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT): Win32/FakeDef, Win32/Vicenor, and Win32/Kexqoud. In this blog, we will talk about the rogue antivirus family Win32/FakeDef. It’s not a big player in rogues’ world, but it holds its own unique characteristics. We found this family in the wild in December 2012. Initially it wa […]
- Updated data shows prevalence of Java malware in 2012 May 13, 2013Recently we released the Microsoft Security Intelligence Report volume 14. The report initially presented data showing reduced Java malware detections in Q3 2012 and gaining prevalence in Q4 of 2012. During a later review of the backend data, we found that we were missing some detection counts from our initial calculations. We have revised the data, and Figu […]
- Browser extension hijacks Facebook profiles May 11, 2013We have received reports about a wave of malicious browser extensions trying to hijack Facebook profiles. This threat was first discovered in Brazil. We detect it as Trojan:JS/Febipos.A. The malware is a malicious browser extension specifically targeting Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. When installed, it attempts to update itself using the following URLs: C […]
- CVE-2012-1876: Recent update to the Cool Exploit Kit landing page May 8, 2013A recently debuted exploit kit (EK), called "Cool EK," and detected by us with the name Exploit:JS/Coolex, has been known to include various exploits targeting Oracle JRE, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player to Windows kernel-mode drivers. If you’re unlucky enough to visit a webpage that hosts Cool EK, you might encounter all these exploits in the one […]
Kapersky Lab Threat Post
- Q&A: Microsoft’s TJ Campana May 17, 2013The Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit has been spearheading botnet takedowns and other anti-cybercrime operations for many years, and it has had remarkable success. But the cybercrime problem isn't going away anytime soon, so the DCU is in the process of building a new cybercrime center here, and soon will roll out a new threat intelligence service to help […]
- PushDo Attackers Adjust Algorithm to Generate .KZ Domains May 17, 2013Researchers at Seculert discover that the PushDo malware gang has counter-punched a research report by Dell SecureWorks and Damballa outing its use of a domain generation algorithm and has adjusted the DGA to generate just .KZ domains.
- New Mac Malware Discovered on Attendee Computer at Anti-Surveillance Workshop May 17, 2013Mac spyware was discovered on the computer of an activist attended a free speech workshop in Oslo.
- Mozilla Refining Third-Party Cookie Patch in Firefox May 17, 2013Mozilla CTO Brendan Eich said the organization has not pushed a patch that blocks third-party cookies by default to the Beta version of Firefox 22. Further testing, he said, is needed to address false positives and negatives.
- At Microsoft, a Sharpened Focus on Cybercrime May 16, 2013REDMOND, Wash.–Cybercrime has developed in the last few years into a major concern, not just for the consumers and businesses that are victims, but also for governments around the world. Obama administration officials have called it one of the larger threats to the United States economy. While law enforcement agencies handle the investigative and prosecutori […]
- Optimise Windows 7 with SSD drives
- How to Turn off Printer Redirection for Remote Desktop Sessions on a Hyper-V Server Host
- Http://Connect shows a 404 – File or directory not found error page
- How to set up an Internal SMTP Service for Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- WSUS for WS2012 Essentials is available
Office 365 (5)
Online Tools (28)
Registry Hacks (17)
SBS 2003 (16)
SBS 2008 (30)
SBS 2011 (25)
Server 2003 (13)
Server 2008 (17)
Server 2008 R2 (10)
Server 2012 (16)
Server 2012 Essentials (19)
Useful Links (41)
Windows 7 (21)
Windows 8 (6)
Windows Vista (14)
Windows XP (15)
- Anil on How to set up an Internal SMTP Service for Windows Server 2012 Essentials
- Sticky Post: Small Business IT-Lösungen mit Small Business Budget « NIERO@net e.K. – Corporate Blog on Windows Server 2012 HyperV Replica Scenarios for Small Business
- BoonTee on Downgrading Windows Server 2012 OEM
- habssuck on Downgrading Windows Server 2012 OEM
- BoonTee on Downgrading Windows Server 2012 OEM